M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Monday, October 02, 2006

Education day before high dose chemo starts:


8:30 am apt at BMTG for labwork and education for the high dose chemotherapy. Today I met with a pharmacist. She reviewed in detail the oral chemo for this week and the IV chemo for next week.

Tuesday will start early. I have to eat a large breakfast before 6:30 am then no solid foods until 5 pm. Apt at 7:30 am. I will be getting a test dose of oral Busulfan. They have to determine how my body absorbs and eliminates the drug. They will collect blood to test every 30 min-1 hour throughout the day. It will be tested on Wednesday at Emory and then the team doctors and pharmacists will determine a specific dosage for me. Thursday night through Monday am I will take the Busulfan pills every 6 hours around the clock (6am, noon, 6pm, midnight) with anti-nausea meds (Prochloroperazine) 30 minutes prior to each. There is a slight risk of seizure with the Busulfan, so I will have to take an anti-seizure medicine Dilantin around the clock (on its own schedule first day 6, 12, 6, 12 then 8am, 2 pm, 8 pm) for a week.

I still feel very good. Maybe a little more tired than normal. I sleep longer than usual when given the chance and I nap if I can.

Wish me luck on Tuesday,


Mark