M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Test dose Busulfan day complete – no problems:


We leave the house at 5:40 to get a big breakfast (probably my last meal outside of the house for a month(s), other than at the clinic). Take 4 anti-seizure pills at 6 am. Finish breakfast at 6:20 and head to BMTG. Take anti-nausea meds at 7:00 am.

The test dose Busulfan is little white tablets in clear capsules. After taking the pills they sample my blood every 30 minutes until about noon then hourly after that. I drink lots of clear fluids (Karin made orange jello and fixed a can of chicken broth for me) all day to avoid feeling hungry. Karin and I watch 2 movies (thanks again Copelands). They flush my port-a-catheter (it has been 6 weeks since using it at Low Country) it is clotted some and takes more than 1 try. I will have them check it at 4 weeks going forward. My hair stubble continues to fall out (it looks like I cleaned my razor on my shirt). Due to the high dose chemo, they discontinue my Lipitor due to both having impacts on the liver. I finish just before 4 pm, and we leave just in time for lots of traffic today for no apparent reason. I am drowsy from the chemo or the other meds, but no other ill side effects today, yeah. I plan to continue that way. I take a short nap before dinner and I will try to get to bed early tonight.

We have Wednesday off. Karin will try to get Bennett’s hair cut (2nd time). We have to return to BMTG on Thursday afternoon ~ 1 pm (for 1-3 hours) to test my Dilantin levels and pick up the Busulfan that they have tailored to my body’s metabolism.

Take care,

Mark