M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Sunday, September 14, 2008






T + 23 Months






It was about this time of year two years ago (September 2006) that I started this blog.

All is well here at the Best household. Sorry to keep you waiting so long for an update. We have been busy.

I’ll try to give a heads up on what we have ahead of us and a synopsis of what has happened since I last blogged.

Looking ahead:

This coming weekend (9/19-21) is the Leukemia Cup Regatta events in Savannah. Karin is playing with her partner John in a Fundraiser tennis tournament. All of the events will be at the Savannah Yacht club. I will be sailing with Bob Hastie and his gang in the Leukemia Cup Regatta (Saturday) and the Waussau Cup Regatta (Sunday). We will attend the award ceremony for all of the events Saturday night. There are quite a few other events, but these are the ones that we will be involved with. Thanks ahead of time to Gran and Papa Wilson who will be watching Bennett a lot this weekend.

I have scheduled my 2 year follow-up testing in Atlanta at Northside Hospital and BMTG for Monday September, 29. As it stands, after the testing, Dr. Bashey will fax the results to Dr. Negrea in Savannah and I won’t have to make a second trip to Atlanta for the results.

Friday, October 3 is the Savannah Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Light The Night Walk and Fundraiser. I have been chosen to be the Honored Hero for the event. It kicks off at 5:30 pm at Forsythe Park in downtown Savannah. Come join us if you can. I will try to get a fundraising website up and running soon for any that are interested.

Saturday, October 11, there is a reunion event for BMTG transplant patients in Atlanta. It is at the Atlanta Aquarium. Karin and I are going and we are taking Bennett. We are looking forward to it. That night is the Atlanta Light the Night Walk at Centennial Olympic Park. We will try to go see it as it is a massive event. My cousin Paula fundraised and walked the event last year in honor of myself and one of her co-workers.
We hope to meet up with her during one of our 2 trips to Atlanta in the next month.

Bennett will be 3 October 27. We will likely have a cookout with a few of his friends on Halloween (Friday) before trick or treating in the neighborhood. He has been talking about his birthday some.


Since my last update: (mostly in chronological order)

We’ve had a few computer/network malfunctions that have contributed to my delays in blogging. Our tower PC died from overheating likely due to age and too much dust inside the case. Our wireless router crapped out a few months ago and with multiple hours of online work and phone calls to India I have not got it to function yet. My ISP has given up and I’ll have to try the router manufacturer or buy another one.

Karin is back in School working on the pre-requisites for Nursing School at Armstrong Atlantic State University here in Savannah. Her drive is 22 miles each way. She took 2 classes this summer in the second summer session, and is now taking one this fall semester. She will have one more to take next semester before starting the nursing program. She will more than likely get a part-time job at one of the hospitals or or a doctors office for the short term.

Bennett and I took our first long distance road trip to North Carolina (will no assistance from mommy or anyone) in July. All went well. Karin had a reunion planned at Young Harris college with her best friend Jessica (college roommate, Maid of Honor) the same weekend.

The Wilson’s had 3 weeks of vacation in coastal Maine. They also went to Germany for Karin’s cousin Susanne’s wedding. I took 3 weeks of vacation to be Daddy with Bennett while Karin was in Summer school. Bennett went to Eden to stay with my folks (see paragraph below) for a little more than a week the first week of September. It was strange not to have him around, but nice in a weird way too.

Bennett started back at WIPP for 3 year old pre-school. Due to lack of vacation and scheduling, etc. Karin took Bennett to meet my folks halfway to NC at Florence, SC. He and they had had a blast the entire time. Get this…while he was with them, they completed his potty training…amazing. We owe them big time for making this finally happen. He had been hit or miss for the last few weeks leading up to this. We almost didn’t send him with any big by underwear to NC. We’re so glad that we did.

While Bennett was gone, Karin stripped wallpaper and painted in the bathroom. I am working on wrapping up the baseboard molding and I will hang crown molding. I’ve been working on wiring the laundry room and my tool room in the garage. It has been a bit warm pulling wire in the attic.

Bennett got to ride with Mr. Bill (Moore) on his Harley.

We prepped for, but didn’t have to act for 4 hurricanes that had the S/E Georgia coast in their sights at 1 time or the other.

The Pack football stinks.