T + 9.5 Months
I’m sorry for the long delay before this update.
My work schedule has been very hectic and difficult to get used to. I sleep as much as I can. This week on day shift (6-2+) was a pretty good one. I managed to get enough rest even without enough sleep. Prior to this week, I have been rather fatigued and dragging a lot. I felt sure that my thyroid was underperforming, but they tested it and it was fine. They have tested my blood for a few other things, but all seems normal. It has been hard for me to determine whether it is my recovery fatiguing me or my swing shift schedule. I lost nearly 20 pounds in my first six weeks on shift without even trying. Karin has lost an additional 20 and has been trying and now looks great! I have trouble eating 3 full meals when my schedule is off from normal days. Even then I have to work through lunch occasionally. I will schedule (when possible) a physical exam with my GP soon
The last two nights have been great. Karin and I have been in bed by 10:00 pm and Bennett has slept to nearly 8:00 am so we got 10 hours of sleep each night. Not completely uninterrupted (dogs needed out at 6:00 am one day or milk for Bennett at 5:00 am) but it was wonderful. You cannot beat a good sleep.
Bennett was 21 months old yesterday. His vocabulary expands everyday. His favorite word is still TRACTOR, and will announce every time he sees one, very cute. The picture is from a fish fry last Saturday at our across the street neighbors pool (Joyce and Jerry). The food and company was great and we all had a very good time. Bennett had his first full-size piece of watermelon, and he shared it with most of us.
We will be in Eden, NC and other places nearby for family gatherings Wednesday through Sunday (9/5). My parents have arranged for me to speak Thursday afternoon at the First Presbyterian Church in Eden about my experience of the last year and a half. It will likely be for a large crowd. I’m not sure we are ready for that, but we haven’t been to Eden in nearly 2 years due to my ordeal and my work schedule. I’ve given the speech before for a cancer survivor celebration in Savannah at the other large cancer center from my own.
I’ll try to update again before we leave town Wednesday.
Mark
I’m sorry for the long delay before this update.
My work schedule has been very hectic and difficult to get used to. I sleep as much as I can. This week on day shift (6-2+) was a pretty good one. I managed to get enough rest even without enough sleep. Prior to this week, I have been rather fatigued and dragging a lot. I felt sure that my thyroid was underperforming, but they tested it and it was fine. They have tested my blood for a few other things, but all seems normal. It has been hard for me to determine whether it is my recovery fatiguing me or my swing shift schedule. I lost nearly 20 pounds in my first six weeks on shift without even trying. Karin has lost an additional 20 and has been trying and now looks great! I have trouble eating 3 full meals when my schedule is off from normal days. Even then I have to work through lunch occasionally. I will schedule (when possible) a physical exam with my GP soon
The last two nights have been great. Karin and I have been in bed by 10:00 pm and Bennett has slept to nearly 8:00 am so we got 10 hours of sleep each night. Not completely uninterrupted (dogs needed out at 6:00 am one day or milk for Bennett at 5:00 am) but it was wonderful. You cannot beat a good sleep.
Bennett was 21 months old yesterday. His vocabulary expands everyday. His favorite word is still TRACTOR, and will announce every time he sees one, very cute. The picture is from a fish fry last Saturday at our across the street neighbors pool (Joyce and Jerry). The food and company was great and we all had a very good time. Bennett had his first full-size piece of watermelon, and he shared it with most of us.We will be in Eden, NC and other places nearby for family gatherings Wednesday through Sunday (9/5). My parents have arranged for me to speak Thursday afternoon at the First Presbyterian Church in Eden about my experience of the last year and a half. It will likely be for a large crowd. I’m not sure we are ready for that, but we haven’t been to Eden in nearly 2 years due to my ordeal and my work schedule. I’ve given the speech before for a cancer survivor celebration in Savannah at the other large cancer center from my own.
I’ll try to update again before we leave town Wednesday.
Mark


<< Home