M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Monday, September 22, 2008



Regatta Weekend was a Blast!

Yesterday we wrapped up a busy LLS Leukemia Cup Regatta weekend in Savannah at the Savannah Yacht Club. Karin played tennis Saturday and Sunday and I sailed both days. The Savannah event is one of the biggest (top 3 last year) Leukemia Cup Regatta events in the Country. The Saturday totals were ~$290,000, or $40,000 more than the previous year. In 12 years the Savannah event has raised well over 2 million dollars for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society towards helping folks who have blood cancers.

Here is a link from the Saturday, Savannah Morning News
http://savannahnow.com/node/577699

Saturday, I sailed with Bob Hastie on his 27’ Oday named Tumultuous. We placed in the top 3 in some of the races and his boat was First place in the B division with racing and fundraising combined. We had a lot of fun.

Karin, Bennett, and I attended the award ceremony Luau at the Yacht Club. Bennett wanted to eat this 4’ tall ice sculpture: http://spotted.savannahnow.com/photos/index.php?id=4106248 Other than that, he was very well behaved.

Bob Receiving his award:
http://spotted.savannahnow.com/photos/index.php?id=4106333

Through the Regatta, I have met the local top fundraiser Schley Knight. He has been the top fundraiser for something like 8 of the 12 years and he raised almost $66,000 this year. As a prize for being top fundraiser he has been able to go on some “Fantasy Sails” with Gary Jobeson (sp?) an America’s Cup Skipper. There he met top fundraisers from many of the other Leukemia Cup regattas across the country. Schley recently connected me with his friend Travis from Chicago. Travis relapsed this year from his Lymphoma and I was able to encourage him before he went in for his autologus stem cell transplant. Travis, I hear that you are home from your transplant. I wish you the best.

I missed the Pack play, but somehow they beat ECU in OT. Go pack.

Sunday we raced in the Waussau Cup, but didn’t fare as well in the races. It was still lots of fun and lot of work. Two days on the water in Waussau Sound beats a day at work anytime.

Karin played in the tennis tournament both days. On Saturday she played women’s doubles with Miki Duval and WON! On Sunday, she played mixed doubles with John Neff, and WON again! She and her partners played hard and had a real good time playing for a good cause!!! J My co-worker and friend, Glen Price retired after his match and offered up his racket for auction. It went for $330. Thanks.

Gran & Papa Wilson brought Bennett up to the club so that he could see both Karin and I during the Weekend. He had a blast and may have worn them out, along with himself.

I forgot to tell you previously that Bennett decided that he wanted to go fishing. We borrowed a rod and reel from Uncle Jerry across the street and went to the pond near Papa’s house. I fixed the hook so we wouldn’t snag it on anything. We casted for a while and let him reel it in. I’ve got a feeling it won’t be our last trip.


Next Sunday, September 28th, Karin and I will travel to Atlanta. Monday, September 29, 2008 is my 2 year post transplant testing at BMTG and Northside Hospital in Atlanta. Keep me in your thoughts. I plan for all to be A-OK.

Take Care,

Mark