M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Monday, October 12, 2009

3 year Transplant Anniversary


Tuesday, October 13, 2009 is my 3 year autologus blood stem cell transplant anniversary! 3 years ago this morning I was in the Transplant Unit at Northside Hospital in Atlanta for my transfusion. I had been in Atlanta for about a month doing massive chemotherapy in preparation to restart my immune system with the hope of preventing or postponing the recurrence of my Follicular Lymphoma. I am more than 3 ½ years into this Fight. I plan to continue the fight and take it day by day. At 5 years I will have beaten the odds that 50% of the people do not survive that long. I plan to be here much longer than that. Thanks to all of you for all of your support for many years.

The past month has been busy. I continue to meet with a blood cancer support group that meets at Memorial Hospital in Savannah, that is led by 2 oncology social workers sponsored by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I sailed again with Bob Hastie’s crew on Tumultous in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Leukemia Cup Regatta. We did quite well both days and had fun and excitement sailing. Bob was the 3rd place fundraiser overall. Karin played tennis 2 days (women’s doubles and mixed doubles) in the tourney associated with the Regatta. Day 2 excitement was a helicopter (owned & flown by a SYC member) used to dry the courts after some overnight rain. The SYC event raised over $220,000 and will likely be the #2 event in the USA. I know they outfundraised Chicago.

Light the Night was also this month. I was the honored hero at this event last year. I did not think that I would be able to attend due to my work schedule, but a change allowed me to. Karin and I walked and pushed Bennett in the jog stroller. It is a fun event and one of the many fundraisers for LLS. Thanks for your support.

I learned that I will not be going back to BMTG at Northside Hospital in Atlanta for anymore follow-ups. They have sent a bunch of questions to be answered. I saw Dr. Negrea this month and we will do a PET-CT for restaging at 3 years. They will not do any bone marrow biopsies unless we see significant changes. That is good. I need to get copies of all my PET-CT’s from Northside and then they will get me scheduled.

Thanks for all of your caring and support for well over 3 years.

Mark