M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The last of my maintenance Rituxan began today!

Today I began the last of my treatments. They are scheduled on Wednesdays for 4 weeks.

Hopefully this will be the last for a very long time if not forever.

This may seem silly, but I actually look forward to chemo days because I get to sleep in at least an hour longer than workdays. Karin and I were able to get breakfast together before going to the Lewis Center. We don’t get to do that during the week often.

It is good to see some friends and faces we know in the chemo room. It was a busy full house today. I always try to be in with the first group at 8:30. My pump was rather slow, and the nurses had to speed it up a few times. Other than that, all went well. I was finished by 12:30. Karin and I had a good lunch together downtown at Skylers.

After changing clothes, I went to have my photo taken for The South Magazine. I was interviewed last week for an article on cancer survivors. It will be in the next issue. I will let you know when it is published.

Tomorrow afternoon is my blood cancer survivors group that meets at Memorial Hospital’s Anderson Cancer Center. I look forward to that. I was just introduce through one of the social workers that used to run the group to a guy my age who has just been diagnosed with Follicular Lymphoma also. He has not completed his staging tests and has not started treatment. He’s rather freaked out. I spoke with him tonight and have encouraged him to come to the group tomorrow night. I will do my best to share with him and anyone else that I can help all the details of where I have been. I owe it to them.

Karin has kicked off her Team in Training for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I will post updates for her later this week.

Take care,

Mark