M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

4 Year Transplant Anniversary


Tomorrow is Wednesday, October 13th. 4 years ago, in the am, I was lying in a bed in the "UNIT" as we called it at Northside Hospital in Atlanta. On that Friday the 13th, I received my stem cells (856 million immature blood cells) that re-started my bone marrow and immunity that has given me 4 years of continued remission. I am more thankful to still be here than I can ever express. Thanks to God. Thanks to brilliant doctors and their fabulous staff. Thanks to all of family and supporters and friends and folks who didn't even know me that prayed for me all around the world.

When I was sick, the only thing that I asked God for was to live long enough for Bennett to remember me. He has given me much more time than that. I am blessed.

January 31st of 2011, Karin's 40th Birthday, will be my 5 year anniversary of my diagnosis. I have fared very well. I consider myself lucky and blessed. 50% of the persons diagnosed with Follicular Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma do not survive 5 years after diagnosis.

This weeks Savannah Morning News had the results for the LLS St. Joseph's Candler Leukemia Cup Regatta events. The Savannah event(s) many, raised $303,000. Savannah is second only to Chicago for this fabulous group of blood cancer fundraising events.

Today I am carbohydrate loading. Tomorrow I have to carbohydrate fast for 24+ hours. Thursday am is my annual PET-CT. It is mental, but I nearly have a panic attack thinking about 24 hours with no sugar or fiber. It would be easier to give up meat. There is no way that I could Adkin's diet. My bloodwork is very good. My scan will be good

Thursday after work I hope to get to my monthly support group at Memorial Hospital sponsored by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS).

Friday, Karin leaves for San Diego. She is running in the Nike Women's half marathon and will complete training to be a running coach for LLS Team in Training.

Friday night, Bennett and I will go the the LLS Light the Night Walk from Forsyth Park in downtown Savannah.

I will try to do more to fundraise for LLS is the upcoming year.

Thanks for your support.

Fight! Pray!

Mark