M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Monday, April 14, 2008

1.5 Year Post-Transplant Testing

Karin and I traveled to Atlanta Sunday afternoon. Traffic slowed on I-75 to a stop just prior to McDonnough near mile 196, so we cross-countried it to get to North Atlanta. We stay at a Staybridge Suites that is about 2 miles from Northside Hospital. We had a good dinner at TacoMac. Some clown in the room above us marched around for what seemed like all night. My check in was at 7 am, so I got up and showered. Karin ran me to the hospital, then she went back to the room for a shower and breakfast. The PET-CT takes about 2 hours with the prep, contrast, radioactive sugar, waiting, and then the scans. I was done ~9:30. Karin was waiting for me in the Radiology Waiting area. She had time to check her e-mails. I then had my breakfast. Have to fast prior to the PET. That’s why I try to schedule it first thing in the am.

My bloodwork and Bone Marrow biopsy were scheduled for 11:30. We arrived a bit early. It was good to visit with many of the staff and the nurses that we knew from our long stay.

They gave me plenty of meds for the procedure. Once before they were a little light and I’ve requested more ever since. They make me very loopy, almost out cold. All goes smoothly. We are out of there after noon and pick up some sandwiches to go at Panera for the ride home. I snooze a good bit.

We made a quick stop at the monster Bass Pro Shop on I-75 outside of Macon. Good thing that we stopped because my ice packs were leaking and I’m not allowed to get my wounds wet for 24 hours.

Bennett had a meltdown this afternoon and he was happy to see us back. Thanks to the Wilsons for the overnight with Bennett and thanks to the Grimes for watching after the dogs.

We’ll be back in Atlanta on Monday, April 28, 2008 for my results and to see Dr. Bashey. That will be on our return from Karin’s marathon in Nashville.

Off to bed with ice on my wounds.

Take Care,

Mark