T + 7 In the hospital due to fever
My temperature increased Thursday afternoon to 100.7. I called the doctor and they admitted me to the Bone Marrow Unit at Northside hospital. My temp reached 101.3 later in the evening. They did blood cultures to check for infection, started me on IV antibiotics and gave me Tylenol. I slept quite well overnight and they didn’t bother me too much. My hematocrit dropped and I got 2 units of blood this am. My platelets dropped to 21 and I expect to get platelets tonight.
I am feeling a little better, though my mouth is worse. It takes me a very long time to eat a normal meal. Karin got a good night sleep at her folks last night. She visited with me this morning and brought a lot of essentials, and she will join me tonight. I had hoped to stay out of here, but I followed their rules. This is where you need to be if you are sick. The folks and the facilities are great and there is wireless PC access from my room. I hope to be out of here by mid week when my white counts recover to the point of no longer neutropenic. I want to be home for Bennett’s 1st birthday on the 27th. I just finished on the treadmill and I will take a nap soon.
Take care,
Mark
To the John Motley Morehead High School class of 1986, I really wanted to be joining you tonight in Eden, NC for our 20 year reunion this weekend. I was looking forward to it after completing successful cancer treatment in Savannah, GA from January to June of this year. Thanks to those of you who kept in touch through e-mail, cards, and through my parents. I sent a short video to be shared.
Today, I am in Atlanta, GA recovering from an autologus stem cell transplant. I have been here since September 12. I am 7 days after my transplant on Friday, October 13th. I expect to be here in Atlanta until mid November and then out of work in Savannah until the new year or shortly after.
Mark Best Contact info:
M Best vs NHL
This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).


<< Home