T + 32
2nd Post
Prior to catheter removal they did a pre-flouroscope picture. They were concerned that my original portacath may not be in the jugular. I called the clinic to have them dig up my chest x-ray to see where the portacath was in early September. I will review that tomorrow with them. It could just be that my surgeon in Savannah used a different path than the radiologists here are used to. I hope we don’t need it for much back in Savannah anyway. The catheter removal was pretty quick. More pain from the Lidocaine injections than anything else. I still have a small dressing, so I had to cover it for a shower, but it is much more manageable being small 2 rather than large 3 dimensional.
My folks joined us for dinner, burgers & dogs on the grill, nothing elaborate, but it was quite good. Mom brought helium balloons that Bennett loves. She also brought silly Christmas headbands with bobbley santas, deer, etc. and a Rudolph nose…very Gloria. We have our discharge appointment scheduled for 8 am tomorrow.
1st Post
Yesterday, Monday, was my last bag of fluids in the clinic.
My platelets are up to 83 from 50 on Thursday.
My red blood cells are in the normal range now 4.51.
My white blood cells dipped a bit to 3.6, NE# 2.06.
My hematocrit increased to 40.3.
We confirmed that we are on schedule for a Wednesday discharge. I learned yesterday from Susan my NP that she has been pushing for my release. They thought that it would not work out early due to full physician schedules, but my doc is on vacation Thanksgiving week, so they made the schedule work. I began to ask my list of 100 questions regarding do’s/don’ts with discharge. I can change Bennett’s wet diapers now, but no poop. I can drive since I’m on no significant meds. I can wear my contac lenses again (should start with a clean/new pair). My PA would not give me an answer on when the 5 second rule applies again, but I had to ask. I’ll have many more questions for my Doctor and Coordinator. I sorted out/cleaned up all the files that I brought from Savannah, so Karin will let me come home with her now. Last night I took my last bath/shower with rubber gloves/saran wrap/plastic bags taped to my entire right chest. I will not miss that any.
I am 39 years old today. I was up this am at 5:30 to eat. They said nothing after midnight for a 1:00 pm catheter removal. They say nothing after midnight for a 6 am surgery too, so I call BS about the magic of midnight. 7 hours is plenty. I gave Bennett a bottle at 6:00 so he slept to 7:30. Karin let me sleep in to 9 am. I have an appointment this am at 10:00 for an inhalation treatment to prevent pneumonia. I will repeat them monthly for 3-4 months. There are pills available to prevent pneumonia, but they can suppress platelets. After that I will get labs done at the clinic at 11:00 (turns out that was a ruse to sing Happy Birthday and take my picture), register at Northside hospital at noon for the 1:00 catheter procedure.
I’ll try to update again this afternoon or evening.
Thanks for your encouragement, support, and all the favors,
Mark
M Best vs NHL
This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).


<< Home