M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Busy Week and Mark is Tired

I had a doctor’s visit on Tuesday for a port flush and an O/V with Dr. Negrea, my oncologist. My CBC white count was terrible, only 2.0. The virus fighting Lymphocytes were at the lower end of normal at 1.1, but my Neutraphils, the bacteria fighters were 0.3. I am severely neutropenic. I haven’t been this low since several times in January. Back to extreme hand washing, no fresh fruits or veggies, no deli meats or cheeses, no fountain drinks, cook everything drill. No hand shaking, lots of hand sanitizer, don’t get a cut or scrape that could get infected deal again. No mowing the yard, stay away from the dirt, etc. I hope it tests better next week. I went in feeling perfectly fine. Now I am paranoid.

Negrea doesn’t think the low white count indicates recurring Lymphoma, but likely exposure to a virus. They drew blood and sent it off to be tested for several childhood virus types. Something is suppressing my bone marrow’s production of white cells. He could do a marrow biopsy, but I have one scheduled on Monday in Atlanta.

I am subbing for a friend at work who is on vacation for 3 days. It sounded like a sweet deal, but I’ve had calls 2 nights in a row while in bed due to difficult equipment and operations at work. Wednesday was a completely lousy day. Today I was busy picking up lunch and delivering it to my team and kissing up as they took our annual Gallop Survey. IP spends millions on the thing. Woo Hoo.

Karin had two teeth crowned today so she is tired and in bed. I will join her soon. Bennett is spending the night at Gran & PaPa’s, so Papa can sleep in a bit in the morning. Having to be at our house weekdays at 6:15 has to be a drag on him some times.

I am looking forward to Friday at quitting time. My 1 long weekend a month and we have to go to Atlanta on Sunday for my 1 year follow-up testing.

I’m off to the pit,

Mark