M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

6 months, plus 1 week

Things are going pretty well for all of the Bests.

Karin is getting along pretty well following her surgery. She has some pain & discomfort from time to time at the incisions. She played 2 sets of tennis this weekend. She and her partner didn’t win, but they had fun. No major soreness from the surgery, just some from her lack of tennis the last month due to her gall bladder. She has received word that she will return to Coastal Middle School next year. What she will be teaching specifically is yet to be confirmed, but the news is a needed relief. She is studying for a test to qualify her as science certified. She would have qualified last year with her college credits, but the state of Ga made a change that requires a test this year forward.

Bennett (17 ½ months) is growing up fast. He gives us a few new words and few new tricks every couple of day. He is working on some eye teeth that are giving him some discomfort, but they are progressing slowly. We finally saw his first top molars emerged today. They have likely been in a while, but he won’t let us look in the top of his mouth easily.

Mark is doing well. I’m typing this while waiting for a non-cancer related doctor’s appointment. I have a few less than urgent items that have been on hold for the last year plus. I’m here for a fitting to replace my rigid orthotics that I wear in my shoes for my over pronation (flat feet). After I describe my recent past to Dr Spector, he tells me that his sister is preparing to undergo a transplant for Lymphoma in Augusta soon. I did not ask for many details. I will forward my blog to him to share with her.

Next Thursday, after work, we will travel to Atlanta. Paul and Bennett will stay there for the weekend. Friday, Karin and I will travel to Nashville to cheer Steve Routh on Saturday in the Country Music Marathon. He has been training and raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in my honor. I am honored.

His link: http://www.active.com/donate/tntga/tntgaSRouth

I had good CBC’s last week during my port flush (monthly). I completed my Pentamadine treatments to prevent pneumonia.

Good news, my nurse coordinator from BMTG called while we were on vacation to let me know that the preliminary results from the Pet-CT and bone marrow biopsy look good. After the Nashville trip, we will return to Atlanta and my visit with My Physician and PA will be on that Monday morning.

I have some fatigue, but I think it is mostly from not getting to bed at a most decent time.


We add Shannon Brett’s sister (Allison) to our list of people to pray for. She was just diagnosed with breast cancer.

Mark