M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

T + 117 I am in remission! I have been freed and can return to work!

My blood was rather puny today. The white and neutraphils were low, but not to the level to require Neupogen. Dr. Bashey said that it is not necessary today, although they have given it to me previously at similar levels. He was not concerned. Hopefully it will respond by next Wednesday. My platelets were also somewhat low.
- WBC: 1.5, NE# 0.78 both low
- RBC: 4.53
- HCT: 41.1
- PLT: 115 low

I had a good visit with Jennifer Carrier today, one of our favorite mid-levels at BMTG. She has a great sense of humor. Karin and I cut up with her for a bit. She answered most/all of my questions about what can I do, what can’t I do, restrictions, etc. I forgot to ask a few and will inquire more if I need to (like the 5 second rule!).
- Yes, I can go to a restaurant now, but preferably early when crowds are low.
- Yes, I can mow the yard with a mask.
- Yes, I can scoop dog poop with a mask and gloves.
- I should continue to change dirty diapers with gloves.
- Yes, I can go into a grocery store, mall, Walmart, etc.
- No, I cannot go to church yet, wait another month, due to cold/flu season.
- Yes, I can do small work on my car, with a mask.
- Yes, I can do interior/exterior painting with a mask
- No, I cannot go into my attic. Avoid it for at least 6 months.
- No, I cannot do minor construction (sawdust, etc.) not for at least 6 months.
- No, I cannot do work on the water damage behind my fireplace (Steve, Kenny, Paul did the drywall repair while we were in Atlanta). Wait until 1 year.
- I cannot dig in the dirt yet. Puts a damper on the gardening and some of the yard work. I have to wear a mask and gloves for any garden tasks.
- Biggest thing going forward, avoid sick people, do not get sick, keep washing the hands.
- I need to continue the monthly Pentamadine treatments to prevent pneumonia for a total of 6 months (3 more treatments).
- I should see a Dermatologist for skin/mole changes that have occurred over the last year.
- My cholesterol is a bit high, but I have been off Lipitor since my chemo began. I will forward the test results to Dr. Gresham, my Endocrinologist, and will likely restart.
- My thyroid function is a bit out of whack, too much thyroid hormone, I will forward those results also to Gresham and he will likely lower my dose.

I had a good, but short visit with Dr. Bashey. My bone marrow biopsy was good. Maybe a few abnormal cells, but no clinical indication of Lymphoma. My pet-CT was also good. I did not get a copy of the report. Bashey wants it re-read for comparison with my previous tests. I gave them CD’s, but they did not do the comparison. There were some minor things, but no significant FDG accumulation. I will get a copy of the report and CD once the comparison has been completed. I am in remission “non-confirmed” due to the pet-CT and bone marrow tests not being perfect. I can return to work. I plan to be their on Friday if I have all the right paperwork-I think so. I will return to Atlanta-BMTG every 6 months for two years for repeat testing. My six months will be in three months. He hopes that I will be in remission for years. He said that he will call Dr. Negrea and give him my results.

We had a good dinner at Nagano Japanese steakhouse tonight. Karin and I will return to Savannah in the morning.

Paul said that Bennett was asleep by 8:00 tonight. He ran himself ragged outside most of the day today.

I am happy and relieved. We got the answers that we expected today. I will continue to be tested at 6 month intervals for the next 2 years at BMTG in Atlanta, and then for 3 years in Savannah.

Thanks to all of you for all of your support. It is time to start a new chapter.

Mark