M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Monday, September 24, 2007

Back in Atlanta Today for my 1 Year Testing

Karin and I drove up Sunday and stayed in a motel a few miles from Northside Hospital. It was great to leave for the hospital a few minutes before my appointment rather than the usual hour. Karin had coffee and a little breakfast at the motel. She makes a bag for me as I have to fast before the PET scan. I register at 7:45 (very quick since they pre-registered me over the phone last week). I get my blood sugar checked and my IV line at Radiology and I am off for the PET trailer by 8:30. I get the radioactive fluorine and then a 45 minute rest before the scan. I think that the scanner was a new one. 20 minutes seems like an eternity when you are strapped to a table with your arms over your head.

After the scan, I eat the snack that Karin picked up at the motel. We go to BMTG early and have my blood drawn. I think Kimya fills 15 vials. We say hello to all the staff that we see, and then go mail a letter and get some lunch. My bone marrow biopsy is scheduled for 1:00 pm.

No good news on the white blood count. It had dropped from a low 2.0 to 1.3. My NE# was essentially zero. I am extremely neutropenic. I will be wearing a mask when out of the house until it gets better. I will call Negrea’s office tomorrow to follow-up on the testing that was done last Tuesday.

They doped me up well for the biopsy. It killed me last time. Karin (the nurse) and Brooke did a great job this time. Very little pain…, a lot of bleeding though.

A have to sit around for a while to make sure the bleeding stops. I also had to wait for the script and the pharmacy for my Neupogen injection. I get that one in the belly fat.

We say our goodbyes and Karin refills my icepacks for the start of the ride home. It is always good to see the staff at BMTG, but we don’t miss the daily routine there. We are on the road by 2:15. A stop for gas and one rest stop and we are at PaPa Wilson’s at 6:15.

We are off to bed soon. I will take some advil to head off some of the pain. Wish me well in the white blood cell recovery. Tomorrow am I will have Bennett so Paul can play golf or have some free time. I will take him over for naptime so that I can get a nap too. I start work at 10:00 Tuesday night. The first one is always the worst.

Take care,

Mark