M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Monday, November 20, 2006

T + 38 Very Glad to be Home!

Monday, November 20, 2006 –

Friday: the 3 car caravan made it home with no problems. The house was in great shape thanks to Zach, Vanessa and all who pitched in. We had takeout supper from PaPa’s BBQ, quite good. I didn’t get a walk in. Our bed was wonderful to sleep in. Karin woke once and couldn’t figure out what hotel she was in. Bennett slept the night through with minor disturbances.

Saturday: My Dad mowed the rear yard and bagged all the leaves and pine needles. Karin and my Mom cleaned out weeds and overgrowth in all the front yard beds. They look very nice. Karen Hancock brought by a large donation from my neighborhood association RONA. Thanks a ton to all who contributed. I grilled shrimp for dinner. I did get a walk late with Karin in the cooler weather. Bennett slept most of the night.

Sunday: My big excitement for the morning, I drove to get a newspaper from a box a mile from the house. My Mom & Dad planted pansies in the front and rear yards for me. Karin and I got to walk today. Most of our regular Sunday pizza crew came by the house at dinner along with takeout from Vinnie’s. It was great to see everyone. Bennett slept all night.

Today, Monday, Karin went to work. In case you had not heard, the Savannah-Chatham BOE totally screwed her job while we were in Atlanta. Her Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) application indicated that she could have off 12 weeks to take care of me, but her exact job was only guaranteed for 20 days. Only 12 days into her leave, they fire off a letter indicating that she has been transferred from her school 3 miles from home to another middle school 30-40 minutes across town. The letter included the obligatory BS about “challenging” & “rewarding”. This will be ultra convenient for mother of a 1 year old with a husband who has not been released from doctors care. The reason given for her relocation was due to change in enrollment #’s. Her leaving results in class sizes in her former dept in the low-mid 40’s and at the new school with #’s in the teens. I was pretty good in math in school and none of that makes sense. Dig this, since she left her school they had to create another exploratory class to handle some of the overflow from her class elimination, resulting in several other staff moves netting a deficit of teachers (there are open positions posted at her former school now). Her Principal did everything in her power to keep Karin’s job at Coastal, but was overridden by a bureaucrat downtown. Unnamed bureaucrat was a middle school Principal but was removed due to being ineffective at that and promoted downtown. They wonder why it is hard to keep good teachers. Karin is a real trooper and sucking it up and doing this. She has been told that she will have her old position back next year, but we will believe that when it happens.

My Dad primed the pantry that Steve & Kenny repaired for me. I paid some medical bills and made some medical related follow-up phone calls. I got the voice mail fixed on my cell phone, but in the process they cleared my mailbox. Sorry if there were any important messages. I got my walk in while my folks walked Bennett. Karin and I got a second walk when she got home. My folks fixed supper. I could have used a nap today, but didn’t get one. Beyond that, I feel quite good. Tomorrow I have a Dr’s apt at my endocrinologist. Karin and I have to plan Thanksgiving dinner for us and the Wilson’s including Karin’s brother’s family and make a grocery list.

Very glad to be home,

Mark