M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Sunday, December 24, 2006


T + 72 Christmas Eve

Karin and Bennett saw the pediatrician last week (12/19). Bennett is progressing well, 30lbs, 33 ½ inches long. Eating all table food, drinking lots of water and only a little milk at nap time and bed time. The Dr. thinks he’s perfect, for a 3 year old! Yes, he’s the average height and weight for a 3 year old!!!! We have been cut back to 2% milk, and Bennett will receive his live vaccinations once Mark has been released to receive his vaccinations too. Mark and Bennett will go together for those.

I saw Dr. Negrea on Wednesday. That turned into a long day at medical facilities. My congestion had continued for more than a week. I was running a fever 100.2. He put me on antibiotics as a precaution. I went for a chest x-ray to make sure that I am not developing pneumonia (it was negative). They ran a lot of additional tests. I assume that all of them were normal because I have not heard back from them except for the results of the chest x-ray. With the chest x-ray, my port-a-cath placement looked normal. I don’t understand what I saw on the screen at Northside when the radiologists removed my TLC. My catheter looked like it was no routed into my Jugular that day. It has functioned normally when they take blood from it every 4 weeks. I didn’t have a fever when I got home, and I haven’t had any on any check since then, but I will finish the antibiotics as prescribed. My CBC's were good: (WBC: 4.8, NE# 3.6, RBC: 4.31, HCT: 39.7, PLT: 168). All my other blood chemistry, electrolyte, and liver tests from the previous 2 weeks were good too.

Karin came down with the CRUD on Tuesday (sinus congestion and pressure, extreme sinus drainage, headache). She saw a doctor on Thursday and got antibiotics and a decongestant to dry her up. She has improved, but is far from 100% today (Sunday). Thankfully, neither Bennett nor I got any of it. Karin goes back to work on Jan. 3rd. Hopefully she’ll feel better for the remainder of her break.

Karin’s mom (Marie) arrived in town Wednesday night. She and Karin were able to take care of some shopping and errands together (Thur, Sat, Sun). The two of them went to Christmas Eve service at our church tonight. Paul and Marie kept Bennett most of the day Thursday & Friday. He was able to help them pick out a 42 inch plasma TV and wrap up their shopping as well as entertain them and others.

We got a very late start on Christmas cards. Christmas/New Years 2007 cards are in progress and will go out Tuesday. Keep a lookout for a family photo!

This will be a pretty low key, relaxed Christmas for us. I wasn’t able to do much shopping. Also, Bennett isn’t old enough yet to understand it much, but I’m sure he will by next year. We will be at home and spend some time at Karin’s folks. Paul is cooking Christmas lunch. My parents, brother, and nephew will arrive on Tuesday for 3 days. They will stay at a condo on Tybee (Thanks Julie G.).

We have a lot to be thankful for. I am glad to be at home. I hope that everyone has a tremendous Christmas and safe travels.

Mark