M Best vs NHL

This is a diary of my fight against Follicular Lymphoma, a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL).

Friday, January 19, 2007

T + 98

My Wednesday blood was less than stellar, but nothing to worry about yet.
• WBC: 2.4, NE# 1.3
• RBC: 4.06
• HCT: 37.4
• PLT: 147
I hope that the white count will turn around on its own. I still have some mostly am congestion. No fever. I continue to check it regularly. The rest of the family is healthy.

Bennett had a good night last night once he got to sleep (late 10:30). Only one cry at 3:40 am. He took only a little bit of bottle and then slept past 8:30 am.

We’re off to Atlanta this afternoon. Bennett, Paul and I picked Karin up at Mercer at 1:00 pm. Half day at school today. Bennett slept for 15 minutes between the house and getting Karin, but he was up for the remainder of the 4 hour trip. No nap to matter. He was entertained well enough back at the Wilson’s in Atlanta that he did not show tiredness. Marie made a great spaghetti dinner. After his bath, Bennett is in bed at 8:15 pm. Karin and I do the one mile loop around the block.

Monday is day 101 for me. Big testing scheduled at Northside Hospital and BMTG. My PET-CT is at 9:00 am. Nothing to eat till likely noon-my favorite. I have bloodwork and pulmonary function test (PFT) starting at noon at BMTG. At 1:00 they drill both my hips for bone marrow biopsy. They use IV fentanyl, so hopefully no pain for MDB. I will use Oxycodone if needed for a few days while that heals. I see the post transplant nurse coordinator at 2:00 pm and see Dr. Bashey at 2:30 pm. I will get some blood results that day, but most of the testing results will take a wile. Maybe I will get some freedoms back at that time based on time 100 days (prior to the actual test results).

I have a follow up appointment scheduled to see Dr. Bashey on February 7th. I hope to be released to return to work and from house arrest at that time. I have to confirm whether Bashey or Negrea will actually sign my release. I think that Negrea will do it. My short term disability runs out at the end of the month and I hope to not exhaust it all in case of problems later in the year.

I am very hopeful to be done, but I have some apprehensions. I recovered from the transplant very well, but the testing will tell if the high dose chemo did what it was supposed to do. There were no guarantees.

Health and beauty update: I have decided to let my hair grow in till after the visit at the clinic next week. So that they know that I am growing hair. I may shave it after that for a while. It is all dark now and soft. It was very course when it grew back earlier in the year. I have a sad goatee. It is thin - gray on the lower half. My upper beard grows fast, but from my jawline down is slower. I would need to shave at least every other day.

Please keep me in your thoughts on Monday.

Mark